This blog is at best pure grist for the Thought Mill--YOUR thought mill. What you do with that is up to you as an individual. But it is usually the second and further thoughts that do matter more.

Today most of us lead our lives in the fast lane; a lane so fast and dizzying that we hardly have time for thought--any thought. And in the process many admit that they feel 'disconnected' from life and society. Had a little time been devoted to thought, we would have been at least clear-headed about many of the conundrums that rain on us every day. Do share your thoughts, so that this will be a better world some day--sooner than later!

Friday, January 21, 2011

INTEGRITY -- A REALITY CHECK

Personality is what marks a person, and what one notices at the very first glance. It is very real, but when you look at it closely, it is at best an abstract quality. C'mon, you don't have to be 6 feet plus and built like a prize fighter to have an attractive personality. Come to think of it, EVERYBODY whom you know has that mystic quality, and it is precisely that that has endeared the person to you.

And personality is marked by many traits. Integrity is certainly not the least important of those. At this point it is interesting to check out its dictionary definition. Integrity is the quality of being honest and upright, and firm in your moral principles. As children grow up they pick up yardsticks to measure these ethereal qualities listening to the stories from mythology, and reading little essays on the great personages from history like Mohandas Gandhi, Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandela, Jesus of Nazareth, Gautama Buddha...the list is endless. Once they arrive at adulthood and start facing the barrage of real-world challenges, they will have opportunities to put their ideas and convictions to the litmus test of their consciences. In an overwhelmingly positive manner, in say eight or nine cases out of ten, the individual will choose to tread the path of integrity. That is a statistic that should thrill us to no small extent.

Recently after seeing the word integrity repeated ad nauseum in the news media, I asked this question to myself--Is the average Indian, the "aam aadmi", a person of integrity? Does he have this quality in at least a passable measure to qualify him to be a subject of this "Mahan Bharat desh" ? Before answering that, I thought perhaps I should put the question to a cross section of people I would meet in workaday situations.

My first 'quarry' was the milkman. In our place people who are too lazy to get up early in the morning leave a small vessel or a bottle at the door for him to leave their daily quota.

I accosted him: "Would you steal that stainless steel vessel and claim that you had filled it and left it securely?"

Rather than answering me in a businesslike fashion, he fired a broadside at me: "Why should I?"

"Oh, just like that...you could sell it, make some money and add that to the price of the unsold litre of milk... sort of two birds with one stone..."

He eyed me in a strange way. "Sir, you are being mischievous this morning..."

I knew if I persisted in this line, my friendly neighbours would soon bundle me off to the psychiatrist, and so I hit another tack.

"Suppose you saw someone else steal it, what would you do?"

"Sir, such thievery does not happen in our locality."

"Why?"

"Because we are not like that..."

End of my "integrity check" with him. Stepping out for my morning constitutional, I knew I would soon run into my paper boy. As I turned the corner, there he was riding his bicycle. He was a hardworking poor boy who delivered the paper and ran errands just to scrape togther some money for his studies and books. I put more or less the same set of persuasive questions to him, and he simply shook his head, smiled a wan smile and pedalled off, surely with some trepidation about my 'state of mind' that morning.

As luck would have it, there was our neighbourhood policeman waiting at the corner bus stop. We chit-chatted and slyly I put the question to him in a roundabout manner. Instinctively, he became suspicious and defensive. I reassured him that my questions were purely like those put by the "channel damsels" to the interviewees. He stoutly upheld his honesty and integrity. But what floored me was his quip--"Sir, one thing I will say, the average policeman is more honest than some of our ministers..." and he went on to paint a picture of the 'Force' peopled by stalwart and honest men and women, with maybe one or two bad apples who gave a bad name to the entire gang. I had to agree with him there, though I had my own figures to replace the "one or two" with!

That morning 'walk' was more like standing around and talking to whoever caught my fancy and putting roundabout questions to them along the above lines. My findings after an hour and half of meticulous (...and dangerous! I was in danger of losing my stand as a more or less upright retired 'gentleman'!) "data mining"? The average person has truly solid notions about morality and integrity and, except perhaps in isolated instances of great pressure or temptation, or both, s/he would strive to maintain her/his integrity. And when it came to the question of shielding one who has been openly lacking in the above qualities of personality, they were vehement in their stand that they wouldnt be parties to shielding such.

As I walked back, I couldn't contain my great relief and the thrill of discovery that ALL WAS NOT LOST for India and Indians. If I knew a suitably expressive Latin or Greek tag like 'Eureka', I would have, though clad in my tracksuit and sneakers,  dashed along in a passable imitation of Archimedes! I was happy that I was living in India and in my locality among such upright people.

My mind was racing to grapple with many thoughts. How do you find out if a person has integrity and honesty programmed into him? Should his wife "root" for him? Or, maybe his party should go on repeating the "truth according to Goebels". Ah, the best would be to let some PR firm (no need for high profile Radias here.) unleash a blitz of "personality building ads". Uh, oh... how did my milkman, my paperboy, the police constable and the half a dozen others whom I had "put into the crucible" emerge as persons of integrity? They surely did not wear labels of integrity on their foreheads???

A person as he grows up and interacts with the world, slowly but surely builds up a cache of imperceptible things. Soon they accumulate and add some sheen to his humble personality. It is perhaps something like a brittle skin of glass. One small mis-step, and the whole thing would crumble at your feet, and like broken glass, would cut you deeply. The patina of integrity is, at every step, added to by your little actions.

Integrity is not your birthright.  ("I am the son/daughter of parents of professed and proven integrity!") Nor is it something that you can claim as part of your group ethos. ("I AM a Gandhian, and so...") Claims of ignorance is the last way to acquire it. ("I didn't know anything...") Rather, it is what the "outsider" sees in you, feels in you and respects in you as a result of the sum-total of your actions and reactions. If you behave like a common cutpurse, or worse still, like the PR man of a clever cutpurse, then, even if you are an actor who is "Oscar stuf", it is very difficult to come across with a "convincing performance" that will carry the day. Why, one may ask. Because the average upright Indian knows what exactly he would do in a given circumstance, and it is not easy to hoodwink him/her with niceties.

On second thought, let me "root" for the upright, honest, moral Indian "aam aadmi".

YOU are the ONLY hope for this great and beloved nation of ours!

* * * * * * * * * * * *

7 comments:

  1. Well well well...what a write up!!! Kudos to u Prof.

    By d way...Mango People (aam aadmi) is the ultimate key, rightly said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog.
    Change of heart is our only hope.
    Culture is what one does when no one is looking.
    Indian ethos describes such individuals as Aaryaas.
    Where are the aaryans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aryans, Dravidans and all the rest....for them culture was a way of life.
    Thank God the average Indian remembers and respects his cultural roots.
    Culture is the end and aim of education, and 'education' that achieves everything but that is what we have on sale in our 'temples of learning'. What a shame...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @BMH, Thank you for your thoughts, Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Prof,

    I would like to give a detailed review to this post, rather than adding a comment for name sake like "oh, ok, or combined 'oh, ok' ( these days people do say: 'ohk' ), oh..good, nice work keep it up" I think all these kinds of replies are result of what we call the 'Fast-Life' (I will get to that point in detail later)

    And excuse my language (grammatically as well), (yes I am bailing out in advance), I may/will use phrases containing profanity, (you can say From Bad Language to Crooked Thinking) I will try to keep minimum usage (in this post as well as the future posts of mine)
    Ok, enough of the blabbering, coming back to the discussion.

    "IT'S A FAST LIFE!" is it? Yes and No ( we all know it's no but we tend to say yes )

    Fast life, fast love, fast date, fast food... NO nothing is fast, we are skipping some stages and cutting it short, which gives the delusion that its fast.

    I hear people say "...I want to slow the time down..." slowing the time down? are you out of your mind? just look at the second hand of the clock (oh where is the second hand? its digital craps now) As far as I know, 'Second" is a basic SI unit ( The SI base unit of time. The SI definition of the second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium-133 atom. )
    what I mean to say is a second is always a second, people are becoming less efficient in working and thinking and just wasting a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (continued from the previous post)


    Personality - Integrity, wonderful terms to describe a quality, can you distinguish a hypocrites? They shows wonderful Integrity. So your integrity test to the people whom you interact daily; Nice choice! And the list of legendary people, they had put a honest effort in defining and checking many aspects of this so called society and the animal living in it. ( not a topic to discuss now)

    Milkman analysis: "Would you steal that stainless steel vessel and claim that you had filled it and left it securely?" why to think in a complicate manner dear prof, you could have asked him how much water he added?? Well.......these days, adding water is added to the integrity of people selling milk, oh I forgot that, excuse me!

    well our milk guy left a your compound thinking and excusing you, maybe the guy is still in the hangover of last night's booze!!

    lets spare our poor news paper boy

    "channel damsels" nicely put prof. The thing that irritates me is, they can push the limits, and test the last good nerve of a guy. whatever, she will be the damsel in distress if things get out of control. (well I don't have to explain the level of sympathy that flows to the damsel in distress in this century, right? )

    average police men - politician, nice comparison! and yes your figures of bad guys in the gang will be near to the reality according to the level of your integrity ( its directly proportional)

    nice to hear that you can get along with people in your locality without much doubt in their integrity.

    "How do you find out if a person has integrity and honesty programmed into him?"

    YES blog is getting interesting,

    "A person as.....
    .....by your little actions." - Wonderfully written sir!

    "Integrity is not your birthright." before commenting on that I would really like to know about your definition of 'birthright'

    "Because the average upright Indian knows what exactly he would do in a given circumstance, and it is not easy to hoodwink him/her with niceties." - Absolutely right!

    well I was expecting something more as the concluding remarks, ah it's ok!


    " Aryans, Dravidians and all the rest....for them culture was a way of life.
    Thank God the average Indian remembers and respects his cultural roots.
    Culture is the end and aim of education, and 'education' that achieves everything but that is what we have on sale in our 'temples of learning'. What a shame... " -- Sir, we are very badly struck by the influence of western culture and the modern religions which made many of us convert and question our roots, it went out of control long back. And now we ( a bunch of people who still believe the principles of our culture ) are in a situation to advice/answer to many questions/accusation of natives as well a foreigners....

    ReplyDelete

You may also comment as Anonymous.